Renault took the wraps off Renault Alaskan, a one-tonne pick-up that takes a completely fresh approach to the pickup segment, including a stunning look that incorporates an imposing front-end. Both robust and comfortable, Alaskan delivers exceptional driving comfort enhanced with a cutting edge five-link rear suspension and a tough, fully boxed frame. Alaskan is a powerful, ingeniously designed vehicle that combines outstanding offroad ability and best-in-class fuel economy with the Renault 2.3-litre dCi engine under the bonnet. In addition to meeting the needs of professional customers, it is the perfect companion for leisure use and everyday motoring. Moreover, thanks to its LCV expertise, Renault provides a wide range of services, conversions and accessories to fulfil the broad diversity of customers’ needs.
Following the launch in Latin America in 2015 of Renault Duster Oroch, a segment-breaking half-tonne pick-up, Renault has global ambitions for Alaskan in the pick-up market. This market accounts for five million units worldwide annually: more than one-third of the world’s LCV (Light Commercial Vehicle) sales. Building on its position as Europe’s number one LCV brand for 18 years, as well as on its strong footings in South-America and Africa, Groupe Renault is shifting up a gear with Alaskan which will be manufactured in three industrial sites. Alaskan launches in the strong pick-up markets of Latin America where Renault is a long-time player. It will initially go on sale in Colombia.
Renault Alaskan, a stunning pick-up
Following the launch of the half-tonne Renault Duster Oroch pick-up in 2015, Renault now takes the wraps off Alaskan, a one-tonne pick-up with a stunning design. Robust yet comfortable, Alaskan is a powerful, ingeniously thought-through vehicle. Developed in France, Japan and Latin America, Alaskan is a genuinely global product capable of covering the broad diversity of needs customers express across the world. The comprehensive list of available body types extends from single cab to double cab and chassis cab versions, with a short or long bed, and with wide and narrow bodies. Renault also provides a wide range of services, tailormade conversions and accessories to fulfil all customers needs.
A remarkable design
The name Alaskan was inspired by the Aleut word “ALASKA” which means “Great Land”. It conjures up wild, rugged landscapes and is an open invitation to indulge the desire for adventure.
Renault Alaskan’s status-enhancing look fits perfectly with the aesthetic demands of the segment’s customers whilst expressing Renault brand’s identity. The vehicle’s statuesque lines incorporate Renault design cues that bring a modern, pleasing visual touch to the world of pick-ups.
Forceful front-end styling
- Renault’s new brand identity is expressed by the Alaskan’s large chrome grill, a gloss black trim and a chrome riser bar between the grill and the bumper.
- The muscular lines of the bonnet heighten the impression of strength.
- A proud and prominent logo.
Distinctive, eye-catching C-shaped full-LED lighting signature
- Full-LED daytime running lights with C-shape signature.
- Headlights and fog-lights exude an inner strength.
Bold sculpted fenders and sleek, athletic lines
- The dimensions of the assertive, imposing Alaskan ensure a forceful stance.
- The design of its robust yet athletic sculpted sides includes prominent wheel arches to accommodate 16- or 18-inch diamond-effect alloy wheels.
- Alaskan’s lines blend a sense of high-tech engineering and connote its robustness.
Cutting edge five-link rear suspension for improved driving comfort
- This new five-link rear suspension provides excellent road handling and premium comfort for all passengers on board without any compromise to off-road capability or toughness.
- Ride comfort is improved over more conventional rear leaf spring suspension due to less friction, whether the vehicle is loaded or unloaded. Alaskan’s five-link configuration also reduces noise and vibration more effectively.
- It is available for the double cab version of Alaskan.
Tough, fully boxed frame
- Strong chassis capable of over one tonne payload is key in the segment
- Alaskan’s fully-boxed frame of Renault-Nissan Alliance is ideally suited to the needs of the customers as well as for workhorse, off-road and leisure usages,
- Enhanced rigidity for a better handling performance and safety thanks to the use of durable materials,
- Generous ground clearance: 230mm,
- A best level towing capacity of 3.5 tonnes,
- Chassis with smart design improving off-road capabilities (departure, approach and ramp over angles).
- Durable materials
- Strong bed protection: UV resistant, water repellent, anti-slip finish,
- Strong chassis: anti-corrosion treatment, high-strength steel.
- Versatile, practical bed
- Heavy-duty bed, short or long depending on markets,
- C-channels and four quick-fit hooks to secure all types of loads quickly and safely,
- Bed-mounted 12V power supply.
Comfortable and spacious interior
- Cabin space: second-row for passengers provides the comfort associated with passenger cars (knee room: 589mm / torso angle: 23 degrees).
- Adjustable, high-comfort seats for less fatigue on long journeys:
- Four-, six- or eight-way power or manual adjustability,
- Seats with lumbar support for an even distribution of body weight.
- Heated front seats
- Automatic air conditioning with dual-zone climate control, and adjustable vents for rear passengers: enhanced travelling comfort.
- Intuitive storage spaces throughout the cab, including a central console tray, doors bins, bottles holders and under-seat storage.
Best-in-segment fuel consumption with Renault 2.3-litre dCi engine
- Alaskan is powered by Renault’s fully-proven four-cylinder, twin-turbo diesel engine which also is featured in the Renault Master range:
- 160hp and 190hp versions,
- Outstanding acceleration, plus fuel consumption and CO2 emissions amongst the very lowest in Alaskan’s class,
- Twin-turbo technology: a small turbo for smooth acceleration at low engine speeds, plus a bigger turbo for performance at higher revs,
- Engine available depending on markets.
- Two other powertrains are available (depending on markets): 2.5-litre petrol engine (160hp) and 2.5-litre diesel engine (160hp and 190hp).
- Choice of a six-speed manual gearbox or seven-speed automatic transmission, plus two or four-wheel drive.
Excellent off-road capability
- Drive modes: 2WD (Rear Wheel Drive) / 4H and 4LO (Integral 4WD)
- 2WD: for everyday motoring on paved roads – enhanced fuel economy and better handling,
- 4H (engaged while on the move at speeds of up to 60kph): if traction is partially lost (wet roads, rocks, etc.) up to 100kph,
- 4LO (engaged with the vehicle at a standstill): in case of total loss of traction (sand, snow, deep mud, etc.).
- Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD) with 4WD delivers a safer, more surefooted drive. This advanced system uses braking sensors that constantly monitor wheel speed. Whenever the system detects that one of an axle’s two wheels is rotating faster than the other, the brakes are briefly applied to slow the faster wheel for improved traction, greater cornering stability and a safer feel.
- Rear-locking differential: mechanical lock of rear differential for difficult situations.
- Vehicle control aids: assistance during hazardous manoeuvers, enhanced driving comfort and safety:
- Hill Start Assist (HSA): briefly applies the brakes to prevent the vehicle from moving backwards when pulling away on slopes,
- Hill Descent Control (HDC): when traveling down a slope, HDC controls the brakes to prevent the vehicle from going speed.
- Plus: Antilock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Stability Program (ESP).
User friendly on-board features and smart technology
- Renault keyless entry with push and start button.
- A five-inch 3D TFT colour display for swift, easy access to vehicle data.
- Practical audio systems and connectivity: smartphone compatible, hands-free telephony, Bluetooth connectivity with voice recognition, CD player, AM/FM radio, four or six loudspeakers, steering wheel-mounted fingertip remote controls.
- Connected 7-inch touchscreen navigation (availability in certain countries).
- 360° visibility with four cameras (front bumper, door mirrors and tailgate) which allows 360° view of the car and check slow-speed manoeuvring on-road or off-road to avoid obstacles (availability in certain countries).
Dedicated services for professionals
- The specialised Renault Pro+ network meets the specific needs of professionals. An Alaskan customer using his or her vehicle for business will benefit from this service.
- This network includes:
- Dedicated, specially-trained advisers for LCV sales and after-sales,
- Simplified choice: LCV range and conversions on display, test drives without appointment, a quick and clear commercial offer,
- Solutions to stay on the move: maintenance without an appointment, extended opening hours, replacement vehicles.
- The worldwide specialised Renault Pro+ network will include around 700 Renault Pro+ centres in 41 countries at end-2016. In Latin America: 65 in Brazil, 18 in Argentina, 9 in Colombia and 3 in Chile at end-2016.
- In partnership with our network of approved converters, a wide range of conversions is available to bring to our professional customers all the solutions necessary for their activity: ambulance, tow truck, maintenance vehicle, cherry picker, tipper, etc.
- The personalization of the vehicle is also possible, with special options being available at the plant.
- Our approved converters can rely on the Renault Conversion website to consult the technical information and drawings, and ask questions.
- Renault was the first car maker to set up an approval process for converters. That serves reactivity, optimizes the partnership and makes the quality of services progress.
- The Conversion and Quality departments follow the worldwide converters network making regular missions, in order to select new converters or renew contracts.
- Renault develops the Conversions Business overseas by identifying preferential converters for international tenders.
Accessories for personalization
- Dedicated range to facilitate loading and unloading: sliding tray, metal step, bed divider, etc.
- Dedicated offer to protect the bed and therefore secure the loading: bedliner, c-channel and sliding hooks, toolbox, etc.
- Personalization will also be possible with styling accessories which pick-up owners are very fond of.